Bennington Township (Shiawassee, MI)

Bennington Township


Click each section to learn more about each service.

Hardship Cases

The hardship case provision is intended to provide a mechanism for Bennington Township residents to petition the Township board for a temporary reduction in their tax liability due to unusual circumstances.

If you believe you qualify for the hardship case consideration, please request a form and schedule an appointment with the Township Supervisor to discuss your situation.

Land Divisions


  1. Obtain the required form from the Shiawassee County Equalization Department located in Corunna at the old Court House:
    • Signed Map Showing Divisions
    • Signed Application Form
  2. Obtain the required form from the Shiawassee County Zoning Department located in Corunna in the Surbeck Building, 3rd floor across the street from the old Court House:
    • Signed Application Form
  3. Obtain the signed Application For Land Division Access form from the Shiawassee County Road Commission located on Corunna Avenue.
  4. Obtain and complete the Bennington Township Land Division Application form. Deliver all of the above items along with a legal description of each of the land divisions to the Bennington Township office located at 5849 S. M-52, Owosso. The fee is $40.00 for the first division and $10.00 for each additional division.

If you have any questions please contact the Bennington Township Clerk, Donna Ash at (989) 723-5555.

The land division request will be placed on the agenda for the next Planning Commission meeting for a recommendation to the Township Board. Planning Commission meetings are held on the last Tuesday of the month at 7:00 P.M. The land division recommendation will then be placed on the next Township Board meeting for approval. Township Board meetings are on the first Monday of the month unless Monday is a legal holiday, then the meeting will be held on the first available week day following the holiday.

Click here to view the Land Division Application

Homestead Exemptions

The Homeowner’s Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit allows you to claim an exemption on your home which will lower your school tax bill. For you to be eligible for this exemption, you must own and occupy your house as your legal principal residence by May 1 of each year. You may only claim one house as your principal residence.

Click here to view the Homestead Exemption Affidavit
Click her to view the Rescind/Withdrawal Homestead Exemption